1. Write a list of listening skills that you learned about from each of the units that we studied. Find them on - page 9, page 35, page 58, page 82, page 107.
Page 9: Identifying main ideas. In this page we've learnt about that the main ideas give us a general idea of what the speaker wants to communicate to the listener, and that main ideas are sometimes stated first and then followed by supporting details.
Page 35: Making inferences. Sometimes speakers state their ideas or opinions in a more subtle way. They expect the listeners to make a logical conclusion from their given facts or examples. These three phrases" So, do you mean that ...?" " So, are you saying that?"" So, would you say that..." helps us to make sure what are the speakers implying.
Page 58: Listening for examples. There are two ways to help us to understand examples. 1. Listen for phrases such as for example, for instance, as an example, let me give you an example, including, and such as. 2. Another way is rising intonation that signals items in a list. The rising intonation works like a comma to let the listener know the speaker is not finished.
Page 82: Recognizing appositives that explain. An appositive is a phrase that gives additional information in a sentence. In speaking, appositives are marked by intonation.
Page 107: Organizing notes with a T-chart. It is useful to organize our notes as T-chart, some common patterns include cause and effect, problem and solution, and discussions of differences before and after a particular event or time.
2. Which listening skill (mentioned above) did you find the most valuable? Why?
My favorites would be organizing notes with a T-chart and identifying main ideas! First of all, since I always have difficulty identifying main ideas, and it is crucial for me to acquire listening skill like this! And I think organizing notes with a T-chart is co-related to identifying main ideas, so it helps a lot as well! Moreover, I had no idea that we can organize our notes into so many groups! I am sure it would be more efficient for me to take notes like this so that I wouldn't have to write every details down!
3. What are some ways in which your listening in English has improved this
semester?
Thanks to the note-taking skill and the blog, now I can easy grasp the main idea whenever I am listening to English. In fact , although I have no problem understanding English language, yet my attention is easily-distracted and I focus too much on detail or simply become absentminded most of the time. Note-taking skill not only organizes my thought but help me to decipher the main idea readily. I am never a logical person but even I could feel my progress regarding organizing things. As for the blog , I really like the variety of assignments from a simple commercial to lengthy ted talk. Since our assignments were mostly without subtitles, we were forced to pay more attention to speaker's/songs' content, and surprisingly now I am able to tell more details when I heard native speaker talking.
4. What are some challenges that you still face in your English listening? How do you plan to overcome these challenges?
My major problem of English listening skill would be the vocabularies. Now that I am capable of catching up the speaker's speech, but most of the time new vocabularies really stagnate my understanding of English language. Therefore, I felt the urgent need of supplementing my English vocabularies. As far as I am concerned, I've learnt every possible listening skill on my own. The rest would be my own problem to deal with-----memorizing memorizing and memorizing!
5. Based on your experience with listening to many different types of activities in English this semester (listening to radio reports, radio interviews, TED talks, the audio book, a song, etc.), what is the most efficient way that you can train yourself to improve your English listening on your own? Explain your answer.
In my opinion, I am extremely fond of the radio interviews and TED talks. Normally these two types of talks target native speakers as audience, so the speakers wouldn't intend to slow down as if in ESL course. This is absolutely the most efficient way to improve English learning skill, once we get used to the speed, then it would be a piece of cake whenever we are talking to native speakers!. Another thing I like about these two talks is that we really get to learn something from their contents. The saying " one stone kills two birds" really best describes it. I've never expected to learn about voluntourism, the structure of human brain or even secret about happiness!!!!!!! For sure if I am continuing training myself on English listening skills, I will be focusing more on TED talks and radio interviews in order to learn some more knowledge!!!.
沒有留言:
張貼留言